Holy Angels School
Elke Goebel (Iwanski Architecture)
Samuel Boisvert & Donald Luxton (Donald Luxton & Associates Inc)
Darryl Cariou (City of Calgary)
Holy Angels School, constructed in 1919 and expanded in 1929, is a landmark in the community of Cliff-Bungalow and the City of Calgary as a distinguished example of Georgian Revival-style design. Holy Angels School is significant for its historic role as a hub of educational activity in the community until its closure for educational purposes in 2008. The building is now called the “Holy Angels Arts Centre” and is used by the City of Calgary and various community and arts groups.
The City engaged Iwanski Architecture as prime consultant to lead a team to complete the “Understand, Plan, Intervene” process focusing on the exterior and roof assembly. A Conservation Plan and detailed Building Condition Assessment provided the understanding necessary to plan the intervention, completed in April 2021. Holy Angels School is listed on Calgary’s Inventory as a City Wide Historic Resource and is a designated Municipal Historic Resource.