Awardees: Sharon Vattay, Carlos Morell & Christopher Borgal (GBCA Architects); Eve Guinan (Eve Guinan Design Restoration); John Wilcox (Vitreous Glassworks); Jean-Francois Furieri (Iconoplast Designs Inc.); Eric Stewart (Historic Plaster Conservation Services); Fiona Graham (Graham Conservation); Sam Trigila (Clifford Restoration)
Massey Hall (178 Victoria Street) originally opened in 1894 and is an iconic entertainment venue in the heart of the city. Preservation efforts of the Hall included revealing and restoring the auditorium’s plaster ceiling, uncovering and restoring stained glass windows, conserving and improving sightlines in the balcony and gallery, conserving and repairing the 1930s Art Deco lobby and repairing the exterior masonry.
Awardees: Elke Goebel (Iwanski Architecture); Samuel Boisvert & Donald Luxton (Donald Luxton & Associates Inc); Darryl Cariou (City of Calgary)
The 1919-built Holy Angels School (2105 Cliff Street SW) served as an education hub for more than 90 years. Restoring the building included restoring windows and shingles, repairing damaged brickwork, installing doors appropriate to when the era the school was built, revitalizing the entrance way, rehabilitating the cupola on the roof, improving roofing and rehabilitating mortar masonry. The restoration work enabled the former school to be transformed into a new creative hub called Holy Angels Arts Centre that is used by the City of Calgary and various community and arts groups.
Awardees: Donald Luxton and Samuel Boisvert (Donald Luxton & Associates Inc); Brad Taylor (JCK Engineering Inc.)
Darke Hall (2255 College Avenue) served as a cultural hub for over 80 years, showcasing theatrical performances, concerts, galas and other performances at the University of Regina campus. Over time, the building slowly deteriorated and in 2015 the building was closed, and demolition of the building considered. Considerable community action saved the historic building from demolition and a fundraising campaign was launched to fund the restoration efforts. Restoration work included extending the stage, renewing the slate roof, restoring stained glass windows, rebuilding a front staircase, restoring decorative gold stencilled painting, and making the building accessible, all while maintaining the building’s historic character.
Awardees: Jozef Zorko (DMA architectes)
Built from 1887-1889 as a railroad station and used as the headquarters for the Canadian Pacific Railway, the building was restored over a five-year period. The restoration project team replaced 1,115 wood-framed windows, rebuilt the north tower, rehabilitated the masonry on all facades, and restored the ornaments on the south tower (copper roofing on turrets), including woodwork, doors, cast-iron frames and bronze hardware.
Awardees: Louise McGugan, Stefan Gingras & John Cook (GRC Architects); John Cooke & Lisa Nicol, (John G. Cooke and Associates); Robert Martin & Cristina Ureche-Trifu (Robertson Martin Architects) and Benjamin Holthof
Built between 1914 and 1925, the Boathouse (504 Sir George Etienne Parkway) was a popular private canoeing club until the 1950s when it expanded to become a summer recreation spot that focused on various types of water sports and became a rentable event space. Restoration efforts, which were done on this building situated on an open body of water, included insulating the building to make it available for all-season use, bringing the building up to code, restoring doors, and replacing or repairing deteriorated siding and windows in a manner that preserved the historic character of the building. Project work also included improving accessibility, installing a lift, installing a new foot bridge reminiscent of the 1930s entrance to the Boathouse, increasing capacity limits, stripping the building of lead paint, repainting surfaces and restoring an area known as the ‘Gentleman’s Smoking Lounge’.
Awardees: Pietro Frenguelli (+VG Architects); Ed Bowkett (Bowkett & Co.); Gerry Zegerius (Tacoma Engineers Inc.)
Constructed in 1932, the David Dunlap Observatory (123 Hillsview Drive) served as a University of Toronto’s learning and research space for more than 70 years. When the university sold the observatory in 2008, the community acted to designate the buildings as a significant cultural heritage landscape. Restoration work on the Observatory and administration buildings included addressing metal damage and rust caused by condensation moisture in the metal domes and installing working windows to prevent future issues.
Awardees: Christopher Borgal & Carlos Morell (GBCA Architects); Jason Grossi (studio g+G architecture)
Mackenzie Hall (3277 Sandwich Street) is an iconic cultural hub and architectural landmark first constructed in 1855 by Alexander Mackenzie who later became the second Prime Minister of Canada. For more than 100 years, Mackenzie Hall served as a county court house and, more recently, has been transformed into a space to celebrate performance art and cultural events. Restoration efforts focused on masonry and mortar work on the exterior of the building.
Awardees: Jeanie M. Gartly (J M Gartly Design Studio Inc.); Sam Boisvert (Donald Luxton and Associates)
Restoration work to conserve the 1912-built McKenzie Sharland Grocery (1113 Dominion Street SE) addressed flood damage from 2013, and included a new foundation, new wiring, new plumbing and the restoration of windows, doors, siding and exterior details.. The 110-year-old building is valued as a reflection of the 1910s development boom in the River Flats neighbourhood due to its proximity to the thriving local industries at the time.
Awardees: Louise McGugan, (GRC Architects); Barry Padolsky (Barry Padolsky Associates Inc.); Jean Michel Carrière & Justin Vienneau (Adjeleian Allen Rubeli Limited)
Built in 1893, Roper House (71 Bronson Avenue) was home to a prominent Ottawa lumber baron’s family until it was purchased by the Anglican Ottawa Diocese in 1950. It was designated as a heritage property in 1989. Restoration efforts included repairing and rehabilitating deteriorating masonry work, replacing roofing, upgrading windows and adjusting the building’s entrance to be accessible, while maintaining the historic character of the building.
The 2020-2030 Conservation, Design and Development Plan for Parc Jean-Drapeau, Montreal, Quebec
Award of Excellence
Awardees: Jonathan Cha (Parc Jean-Drapeau)
Recreational use of Parc Jean-Drapeau began in 1875, when it became Montreal’s first large public park. The parkland is situated on land that was formed over many millennia, as illustrated by geological formations, and was first occupied by various First Nations, and later French and English settlers. The award recognizes changes to the 520-acre park’s mission shift from the administration, operation and development of a recreation and tourism site to the heritage conservation, enhancement and development of a large island park. The Conservation, Design and Development Plan recognizes and celebrates the site’s cultural heritage and protects historic features within the park.
Awardees: Tamara Anson-Cartwright, Gary Miedema, Loryssa Quattrociocchi, Pourya Nazemi & Liz McFarland (City of Toronto)
City of Toronto urban designers and city planners embarked on a two-year heritage preservation project (2020-22) focused on future development of Danforth Avenue, between Coxwell Avenue and the Don River. The project is anticipated to increase population in the area and support up to 16,000 residents while incorporating the heritage sites scattered along the corridor.
Research and restoration contributions to various buildings in Quebec have earned Cynthia Aleman the Emerging Heritage Professional Award. Aleman’s contributions to heritage conservation in Quebec include working on conservation projects at the Louis S. St. Laurent Building, the Residence of Canada’s Governor General, Public Services and Procurement Canada, Société québécoise des infrastructures, Commission de la capitale nationale du Québec, and Quebec’s National Assembly, among others. Since 2019, Aleman has worked with STGM Architecture’s heritage division and has written reports on the condition of historic churches and buildings, studied how to raise and move heritage buildings, conducted brick-by-brick hammer testing, surveyed of doors and windows, completed iconographic research and familiarized herself with all manner of tools and equipment found on heritage conservation sites.
Ben Daub, a second-year Master of Arts in Planning student enrolled in the University of Waterloo, was recognized for his research into urban heritage conservation and the role stakeholder evaluations play in selecting various heritage intervention types which include adaptive reuse, façadism, or demolition. The study also investigated the link between experience levels of urban heritage professionals and the heritage intervention project type they preferred. The research identified that more experience professionals preferred façadism followed by adaptive reuse while younger professionals preferred demolition more often than their experienced counterparts. In most cases, both groups of heritage professionals conclusively preferred adaptive reuse in low-intensity and façadism in high-intensity scenarios.
Born and raised in Vancouver, Donald Luxton trained as an architect and joined F.R Architectural Planning Consultants in 1983. After nearly 15 years with the company, Luxton established Donald Luxton and Associates in 1996, where he has led dozens of heritage conservation projects to restore and rehabilitate some of western Canada’s most significant historical landmarks. Luxton has also helped establish and lead key heritage organizations in British Columbia such as Heritage Vancouver, the Victoria Heritage Foundation and the BC Association of Heritage Professionals. As a post-secondary school instructor, writer and mentor, Luxton has been instrumental in the development of the heritage profession in BC and Western Canada.
Based in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Duffus began his career as an architect for DRKR Ltd in 1978 and served as Project Architect for the Robertson’s Hardware restoration project as part of the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic. Since the beginning of his career, he has been engaged in more than 330 heritage projects, with a concentration in conservation work since 2005. Founding principal of G.F. Duffus & Company Ltd., Graeme joined DRSA Architecture in 2016 and now serves as Principal and Director of Building Conservation. Alongside his work as an architect, Duffus has prepared conservation plans for major public and private buildings throughout the Atlantic provinces, produced various publications and given lectures, tours and seminars.
As a Toronto-based architect, the late Peter Stewart (1946-2021), led numerous restoration projects in the city, including the restoration of the Spadina House Museum, the Canadian Stage Theatre, and Montgomery’s Inn. Stewart’s career began in 1971, starting in the office of George Robb Architect, a business he eventually became a co-owner of with Peter and Don Scott in 1991. As owners, Don Scott and Peter Stewart shared a passion for heritage conservation. Beyond Toronto, Stewart’s leadership on numerous heritage conservation projects included Dundurn Castle and Ancaster Town Hall in Hamilton, and the Lincoln County Courthouse in St. Catharines. Stewart also led substantial heritage planning studies such as the Old Port Credit Heritage Conservation District study in Mississauga and the Town of Caledon municipal-wide inventory of built heritage resources among many others.
D. Cameron Gillies
Jennifer Guerin Groat
- Building magazine: Canadian Association of Heritage Professionals announce award recipients
- Calgary Herald: Calgary group awarded national prize for restoration of Holy Angels School
- Canada Construct Daily News: Exemplary heritage conservation projects recognized from coast to coast
- Construction Canada: Award-winning revitalization restores TO’s Massey Hall to former glory
- CTV News Windsor: Stonework at Mackenzie Hall receives national heritage conservation award
- Global Montreal: Award-winning Montreal architecture
- Medicine Hat News: Sharland Grocery restoration wins national award
- Regina Leader-Herald: Regina’s Darke Hall restoration wins national heritage award
- Richmond Hill Liberal: Restoration work on Richmond Hill David Dunlap Observatory earns national award
- The Waterloo Region Record: University of Waterloo student Ben Daub wins national heritage award