Mitchell Hall, also referred to as ‘Bew’s Gymnasium’, is incorporated into the newly constructed state-of-the-art Innovation and Student Wellness Centre. The original limestone building, which was constructed circa 1930, is a steel structure, clad with a multi wythe masonry exterior wall composed primarily of local Kingston Limestone. The project, which was ongoing between October 2017 and August 2019, included the restoration of the mass masonry exterior walls, off site restoration of period wooden windows and doors, installation of new curtain wall glazing assemblies, and the wholesale removal and replacement of the slate bell curve roofing assembly. The design team took great measures to ensure the conservation work was completed in conformance with the ‘Standards and Guidelines for the Conservation of Historic Places in Canada’. A large emphasis was also placed on the preservation of the materials where possible; however, methods of rehabilitation and restoration were utilized on portions of the project where preservations was deemed not practical.
CAHP | ACECP
190 Bronson Ave, Ottawa ON K1R 6H4
CAHP | ACECP was founded in 1987 to represent the interests of professionals in many related fields of heritage conservation.
© All Rights Reserved. Powered by Evolution in DesignZ