St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church
Conservation of 14, original, wood windows by Furlan Conservation at St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church, 295 Queen Street South, Streetsville (Mississauga), Ontario. St. Andrew’s congregation was formed in 1822. In 1824 the congregation built a frame church, just south of the current church (1867). The architect was James Smith. Five million locally handmade bricks comprise the subject Gothic Revival structure, which was built on land donated by the town’s namesake, Timothy Street. The landmark spire was restored in 1913 after it was struck by lightning. The structure is located in the historic village of Streetsville, on the east side of Queen Street South, immediately north of the former ‘Scotch Burying Ground’, now Streetsville Memorial Cemetery.
The goal of the project was to restore a significant character defining feature of St. Andrew’s Church, based on sound conservation principles as set forth in The Venice Charter International Charter for the Conservation and Restoration of Monuments and Sites (1964), as well as the Standards and Guidelines for the Conservation of Historic Places in Canada and The Ontario Heritage Tool Kit. These guidelines offer consistency when planning for, intervening on, and using historic places and has been adopted by several federal, provincial, territorial, and municipal authorities, as the benchmark for assessing proposed conservation interventions. The intent of this conservation plan was to be a minimal intervention approach; whereby sensitivity to the reversibility of interventions needed during the conservation process were considered.
You must be logged in to post a comment.