Oro African Methodist Episcopal Church
The Oro African Episcopal Methodist Church was originally constructed in 1849 in Oro-Medonte, Ontario. The church was part of an African Canadian settlement established after the War of 1812. The building has been abandoned since the early 1900’s and is currently owned and maintained by the Township of Oro-Medonte (Township).
The existing building has a footprint of 20’ x 30’ and was constructed of wood log wall framing, wood roof framing, and wood floor framing supported on stone foundations. The project involved raising the building to accommodate a new crawl space, log wall replacement and repair, new floor framing, and replacement of the exterior cladding. Tacoma Engineers (Tacoma) collaborated with Davenport Architectural Corp. (Davenport) to address the building envelope and with Su Murdoch Historical Consulting (Murdoch) on the restoration approach.