Canadian Stage Theatre, Exterior Restoration
The Berkeley Street Theatre buildings are comprised of seven buildings and was originally built by the Consumers Gas Corporation in 1887 as part of a larger coal gas production and storage facility. The grand Richardsonian Romanesque buildings were vacated in the 1950s and sat mainly abandoned until their conversion into a set of theatre buildings in the 1970s. Today the buildings house Canada’s largest non-profit contemporary theatre company, and each building houses a specific use.
In 2011, George Robb Architect (GRA) was retained by the City of Toronto to undertake the exterior restoration of the Canadian Stage Company’s building complex at 26 Berkeley Street in Toronto. GRA’s work on this facility has continued since, with the most recent phase completed in the spring of 2016.