2014 Award of Excellence – Heritage Education, Awareness and Scholarship – Special Projects

Gemini House

This 1880’s Second Empire house on the downtown campus of the University of Toronto was transformed into a teaching model for heritage preservation and energy conservation. The house within a house design uses one-third of the energy of current Ontario standards, while preserving the heritage features.

The team of building science engineers and heritage architects has created a new benchmark for sustainable design and heritage conservation that is both a demonstration project and a laboratory for heritage education.

Image

Awarded to:

Edwin Rowse (B.Arch., OAA, RIBA)
Graeme Stewart (M.Arch, MRAIC)